Syria's main opposition group accused the government of "massacring" more than 1,300 people in chemical weapons attacks near Damascus on Wednesday, August 21, saying about 650 victims choked to death, including women and children.
The activists the attack was carried out applying “rockets with warheads containing poisonous gas”.
The accusation came as a team of UN inspectors was in Syria to probe previous allegations of three similar onslaughts allegedly carried out by Syrian regime last year.
The claim of chemical weapons use, which could not be independently confirmed, was vehemently denied by the Syrian regime which said it was intended to hinder the work of the UN weapons inspectors already in the country.
Calls For Investigation
Britain, France and the United States sought an urgent meeting of the UN Security Council to discuss the allegations and asked the UN experts to visit accident scene.
EU also said the allegations "should be immediately and thoroughly investigated."
"We have seen with grave concern the reports of the possible use of chemical weapons by the Syrian regime. Such accusations should be immediately and thoroughly investigated," a spokesman for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said.
UK, France and League of Arab States came up with similar request.